Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Last Days at the MTC

Time is beginning to wind down for us. It's amazing that my time at the MTC is almost over. It's truly been a great experience. I can't believe how much has happened. This truly is the Lord's place where all willing to learn can grow so much more than any other place. I look forward to entering the mission field and being able to use my talents the Lord has given me to help those I meet.

My teachers have really helped me a lot in improving myself and gaining confidence in my abilities. I must be doing something right when others come to me with compliments on my improvements. This past week, for my Blue Box, I practiced every night in front of Sis Low and Sis Holt. Not only did I get great feedback from them so I could improve, but I was able to practice and have the confidence needed when I performed the bible story in front of the district. This week, I had chosen to do Elijah and the Widow. I did not have a picture to show, but if I am to go outside my comfort zone, I needed to choose a story that I love. I have always known this story since I was a child, thanks to Animated Stories videos, but there were many that really didn't know the story, especially since it is found in the old testament and is only a couple of verses long. When I did my Blue Box on Saturday, my district was so nice and just was so impressed with the spirit I was able to bring through the story. My teacher stated that I move like a dancer in my sign. So, to all my dancer friends, not only do I look like a dancer and act like a dancer, my signing abilities also present me as a dancer. I got all that by spending four years with dancers helping with lighting and sound. Loves!

Also, with interpreting practice, I receive compliments about using my body language and the concepts to get the message across. I still have a bit to work on with facial expression, but I am improving. These small passing words of kindness really help me to believe I am ready for Florida. As long as I continue to improve each day, the Lord will help me and I can help those that I meet in the mission field.

For the past two weeks, our Relief Society lessons have been given from members of the General Primary Presidency: Sis Margaret S Lifferth last week and Sis Vicki F Matsumori this week. As Sisters, we are learning about the 2010 Primary theme and to help teach the children while on our mission. For "where is the symbol of our faith? In the lives of the people."

This Tuesday, we had the privilage of hearing from Elder and Sister L. Tom Perry. Much of the talk was focused of the five main points of teachings as stated in an earlier talk by Elder Holland. I simply love how Elder Perry constantly says, "Missionary Work is the life-blood of the Church." And then I never thought about it before how we are teachers all the days of our lives. From birth to death, we are teaching others while we ourselves are being taught. I thought that was really interesting. I never thought before how much a baby and a child are able to teach us, for we always think about how we can best teach them. How truly blessed we are to be upon this earth and be able to learn and progress in so many ways.

TENDER MERCY: Serving a mission really has given me the opportunity to ponder about how I have been able to grow in the gospel and in my faith in the first twenty-two years of my life. Now, as I continue to grow and be surrounded by the spirit as we prepare to invite others to come unto Christ, I continue to look inside myself and not only think how I can improve now to help support others, but what do I want to do with my life to continue onward. The Lord has given me this opportunity to begin to see what He has in store for me if I but listen and obey. I can't wait to see how much I grow in these next fifteen months. I can't wait to see how I can continue on to help His children. How grateful I am to have made the right decision to serve a mission. How grateful I am to be called as an ASL missionary to help strengthen the Church within the Deaf communities. How grateful I am to see that the Lord trusts me so much to help bring His children back into the fold of God. There are no words to express the joy I feel as I learn the language and doctrine, and imagine how I can bring others to come unto Christ. Missionary work truly is amazing! And I must end by saying, not only does missionary work bring others to God, but so does the great work of Family History and going to the Temple. It is not only helping those that are living to come unto Christ, but to help those who have already left this earth and need their work done. That is our responsibility and blessing and gift - to help all, living and dead, to return to God again.

‘Make no small plans: They have no magic to stir man’s souls.’ This is the vision I have for the South. I believe that one day the South will baptize more people into the church than all other English speaking missions in the world together. There are great hosts of marvelous Baptists, and members of the church of Christ, Methodists and Catholics who are honorable people, and have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and love him. As they see their church veering off to the right or to the left of these basic teachings, they will begin to search for the truth. And as pivotal teachers come into the church and have influence, we will see the time when we baptize hundreds and thousands, tens of thousands. In your day you will see a million members of the church in the South. There will be Temples plural in the Southern States. What a great call you have to serve with these marvelous people. ~Spencer W Kimball (1974)