Hmmm... to make it more personal... unfortunately, I am so bad at that! Writing itself has never been a forte of mine. It's amazing I've been able to come up with anything to write. I'm not humorous like Allison and Nori. I just write what comes into my mind - which is more spiritual in nature because I'm trying to gear my mind towards gospel teaching. Oh, and it's because I have an awful memory. Even with my journal in front of me, I can't remember the more personal, fun moments I have done during the week. Well, let's see ...
With transfers, we have combined Boca Raton East and West into one area. Sis. Eland (from Colorado) and I are now together in a companionship representing the east side and the west side, then we are blessed to be in a trio companionship with Sis. Gardner (from Washington). I am enjoying our companionship so far as Sis. Eland is focused on the charity and concern for each person she comes in contact with as Sis. Gardner is focused on making sure our actions are in line with our missionary purpose and following the exact obedience that all of us missionaries have been asked to follow so we may continue to be blessed by the Lord to our fullest capacity. Still being new to the mission, I haven't had a specific focus so it will be interesting to see what I will be like further into my mission.
Florida has been quite cold recently with a lot of rain coming down, which I have been told is unusual for Florida winters. A fun new change is that I have become driver! On my second transfer, and I'm able to drive around the whole of Boca Raton. It's been fun so far. We've had rain and a lot of wet roads, but all has been going well.
The greatest part of the week was our Christmas Mission Conference. We were able to hear from Pres. and Sis. Hale and Bro. Brad Wilcox. They were amazing talks! We are all reminded to ask ourselves each day, "How Have I Seen the Hand of God in my Life Today?" as each of us was given a pen with those words printed on it. Also, we were reminded of our goals as a mission to:
become a mission of miracles
have ministering of angels
receive vertical revelation
have a 3x3 companionship with the Holy Ghost
notice the thinning of the veil as we connect with the spirit
experience the blessings of mighty prayer (we now have twice a day - 9:30 AM/PM.)
The lesson by Bro. Wilcox really made me think a lot of my family history - something I always love coming back to! He spoke of the "Birthright of the Latter-Day Children" as we recognize who we are, and realize the extra portion we have been given with our birthright to govern the affairs of our Father and continue setting up the structure of the Church to prepare for the Second Coming of Christ.
I Am a Child of God
Saved for this Latter-Day
Given to me this Birthright
That I Must Now Repay
Lead Me so I Can Lead Others
Guide Me so I Can Guide Others
Help Me so I Can Help Others
So We May Live with Thee Again.
This isn't a direct quote from Bro. Wilcox (my pen isn't fast enough to write), but about the right concept of what he thought would be a great additional verse to our beloved song. I really liked it and wanted to share it. Not only am a begotten spirit of God and have the literal blood of Ephraim in my veins, but I have been blessed to have to blood of my ancestors: Ellsworth, Cluff, Hadley, Blalock ... and all the many branches that follow back. I am here because of them. Not only am I here physically, but in my spiritual level of growth by learning from them and their experiences. It's amazing what families do for each other: those we have now, and those that have long passed away.
I am sorry I have been unable to send off a tender mercy. It's so hard to choose one tender mercy to write about, one reason why I always end my emails and my journal entries with one. I am just so grateful for this opportunity to put spiritual growth and learning over career growth. I know this was the right decision for me and I am glad to continue to learn and grow here to prepare me for the rest of my life. A lot of this decision came from my family! Thanks! You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Have a very Merry Christmas!
‘Make no small plans: They have no magic to stir man’s souls.’ This is the vision I have for the South. I believe that one day the South will baptize more people into the church than all other English speaking missions in the world together. There are great hosts of marvelous Baptists, and members of the church of Christ, Methodists and Catholics who are honorable people, and have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and love him. As they see their church veering off to the right or to the left of these basic teachings, they will begin to search for the truth. And as pivotal teachers come into the church and have influence, we will see the time when we baptize hundreds and thousands, tens of thousands. In your day you will see a million members of the church in the South. There will be Temples plural in the Southern States. What a great call you have to serve with these marvelous people. ~Spencer W Kimball (1974)